Can't find Community Components and Indicators after installation in WLP 6.9.18
Author: kcbars
Creation Date: 7/13/2017 5:18 PM
profile picture

kcbars

Hello. I installed v 6.9.18 yesterday, and the community components and community indicators extensions don't seem to install correctly. I get the pop up screen saying they were added, but when I run wealth lab they aren't there. This is a brand new installation on a computer that has never had wealth lab installed. Is there a way to insert them manually? Thanks.
profile picture

Eugene

1. Having confirmed UAC prompt, did the popup show a "Success" for both the extensions?
2. Do you have WLP 32-bit and 64-bit installed side by side?
3. Does the WLP main folder under Program Files contain these 3 files: HtmlAgilityPack.dll, WealthLab.Components.Community.dll and WealthLab.Indicators.Community.dll? What are their date and size?

More troubleshooting suggestions:

Extension installed in Wealth-Lab Developer doesn't show up after restarting application.
profile picture

kcbars

Yes, prompt showed success for all extensions.
No, have only installed 64 bit.
Yes, has all three files dated today, 132, 158, and 284 kb respectively.

I checked the link above, and none of these files have a "file downloaded from internet" designation in properties.

Thanks.
profile picture

Eugene

Looks OK to me. How have you determined exactly that they aren't there?
profile picture

kcbars

The first clue was that strategies wouldn't run correctly. I looked in extension manager, changed it to other extensions, and the community items weren't there. I could then drag and drop the downloaded files to extension manager again, and they re-installed (normally I get the "this is already installed/up to date, are you sure?). I also tried installing all the others that show as not installed (ASCII static, Yahoo finance, etc.), and the same thing happens. It says they are successful, but when I start the program it says they are not installed. On my older computer with the previous version, I uninstalled wealth-lab, downloaded the new version, installed it, and everything is fine.
profile picture

Eugene

Thanks for the thorough problem description. It's non standard program behavior and I hardly have a clue. This looks like a misconfiguration of your Windows environment, or to be precise something is deleting the files on your PC. For example, some paranoiac security configurations in corporations clear the entire AppData\Local folder on program exit (this isn't exactly your case as we're talking about Program Files here). Some antivirus, sandbox utility or system protection software - it's up to you to figure that out.
profile picture

kcbars

The really strange thing is it worked fine yesterday - I was able to optimize strategies, etc. I've turned off everything I can think of, antivirus, firewall, etc., and it seems the only extension that it will keep installed is the tasc indicators. But oh well.
profile picture

Eugene

1. Make a backup copy of those 3 DLLs with "file downloaded from internet" cleared to avoid reinstallation and make sure that it's not a WL issue.
2. Close WLP, copy the files into the WLP main folder, start WLP, close WLP.
3. Are the files still around?
profile picture

kcbars

Yes, they are still there.
profile picture

Eugene

Supposedly this is the first occasion of Wealth-Lab removing extensions at its own will. I still think there's something else behind this, security-related.

At least you have the workaround.
profile picture

kcbars

Hi. I've discovered that the extensions are there and working, but they just don't show up inside extension manager. And for the ones that come uninstalled with the program, you can install them, but they still show as not installed inside extension manager. This is the first time I've installed the software in windows 10, so maybe that has something to do with it? It's strange because some of them show up (TASC indicators, genetic optimizer), and some do not (community components/indicators). Thanks.
profile picture

Eugene

Hi,

You probably haven't switched to "Other Extensions". Mentioned extensions aren't "Fidelity supported" and for this reason have always been listed under "Other Extensions". Almost for a decade now.
profile picture

kcbars

No, I switched - nothing appears under "Other Extensions" for some reason.
profile picture

Eugene

There's clearly something odd with your computer's software configuration. Nobody seems having similar issues as you in this thread. If they wouldn't work I'd suggest to uncheck that "downloaded from the internet" flag but since you say they work I'm not sure what's happening.

@Cone

Robert, can you see the "Community" libraries listed under "Other Extensions"?